Friday, July 10, 2009

Aidan ups the kilometres

Just days to go to the start, and Aidan, well known for his endurance ability, has spent the last month upping his training to long distance running carrying his backpack.

"After my fall my knees are still swollen and a little sore," said Aidan. "However the injury, although not fully recovered, appears to have stabilised so I ramped back up the training again running, 42km in four hours with my rucksack. My knees seem to take that relatively well so I stepped up to a 70km run the next day.

"Mixing walking and running I kept my heart-rate between 55% and 75% of the maximum and averaged 65% over the distance. This can be clearly seen in the chart (below).


"There is a period where I walked a long section in the middle where my HR dropped to 80bpmm (45% of maximum). My overall Training Effect for this was 2.4 and I burnt about 4000 calories.

"The beauty of running in London is that there are no mountains, and wonderful river paths which are almost perfectly flat – my height gain during the entire run was only 70m (and it also has the advantage that I did not trip over).

"Anyhow this meant I could keep up a steady 9km/h and cover the distance in just under 8hrs (not including a short break for lunch). My knee stood up reasonably well to the pounding although the swelling did increase a little which is not ideal.


"The obvious thing that stands out here is how much easier it is to cover large distances on well paved flat London roads compared to struggling across difficult mountain paths. Maybe we should do a Red Bull X-London?

"This was followed up a couple of weeks later by a 90km jaunt again around London over 12.5 hours – average HR was 57%, average speed 7.1 km/h and I burned a massive 4640 calories (below).


"Just what I need to prepare for the daily requirements of crossing the Alps!"

Says coach Eddie Fletcher: "These are great long distance logs and show the massive calorie count with the combination of long duration and low intensity and speed.

"Overall daily ‘effort’ in the Alps will be higher so the calorie intake will be an important issue."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home